You’ve heard of beard wash or even bought it and wondered what actually it is and how often to use it. Beard wash is a type of shampoo specifically meant to clean your beard. When used, they leave your beard looking clean and attractive without stripping out your natural sebum oil.
Our main concern lies in whether we should use beard wash every day. Try asking this question to at least four different guys and the answers you will find are different. Several beauty and skin therapists confess to being asked this type of question from several people. It may be a tricky question to answer but the fact remains that several factors decide on how often you need to wash your beard. These factors include:
- Skin type
- Beard type
- Area of residing
- Your occupation or daily activities
Washing your beard is important because it prevents it from stinging. However, washing it daily is not recommended as it may lead to instances like a dried and unattractive beard and skin. You can wash your beard twice a week. This is not bad like washing your beard every day. As you scroll through the article, you will learn about:
- Whether beard wash is necessary
- How often to use beard wash
- The best beard wash to use
- Whether to put hair conditioner in your beard
Is Beard Wash Necessary
Yes, beard wash is vital. You actually don’t need to wash your beard every time but once in a while when necessary. If you have skin that is dehydrated, washing your beard daily may cause your beard skin to be dry and itchy. The factors named above are necessary and should be considered before you decide how frequently you need to wash your beard.
- If you have skin that is always oily, then you can wash your beard frequently. This will prevent the buildup of oil on your skin by washing it off. However, if you have dry skin, washing your beard frequently will give you a drying effect. Stick to washing your beard 2-3 times a week.
- Beard thickness is important and should be considered. A beard that is thick has coarse hair which gets moisturized at a faster rate. Thinner beards can be cleaned frequently for a fuller look.
- Weather also determines how frequently you should clean your beard. Your beard hair becomes frizzier when humidity is high, but when the climate is dry, the hair also dries. Therefore, by washing hair in a low humidity area zone, you moisturize your beard hair.
- The level of activeness. If you are often active, it is important you clean your beard frequently. The reason is that when active, sweat and oil build up on the pores of your skin making it necessary to be cleaned to avoid the buildup. Failure to which may lead to ingrown hairs or acne because of unclogged pores.
- Washing your beard is important because it makes it look soft and fuller.
How Often Should You Use Beard Wash?
As stated earlier in our article, how often you use beard wash depends on a number of factors. It is recommended to use it not more than three times a week to prevent breakages and a dry beard.
- Wash your beard frequently if your skin is oily
- Avoid regular washing of your beard when you have a dry skin
- If you have thick beard hair wash your beard three times a week while for those with thinner hair you can do this frequently.
- The environment also matters. When the climate is dry, minimize washing your skin while when the weather is wet, regularly wash your beard to prevent inflammations and dirt.
When cleaning your beard with a beard wash, kindly follow the following steps:
- Lather the roots and skin to rejuvenate the skin, hair follicle hydration, and oils replenishing.
- Rinse your beard leaving it moisturized.
- When your beard dries, dab it to prevent damage to hair follicles.
What is the Best Beard Wash?
You need a beard wash to help you maintain a clean and nice-looking beard. However, how will this be possible with no beard wash? We have therefore come up with a list of some of the best beard wash we would recommend for you.
Jack Black Beard Wash
Jack Black is a high-quality beard wash formulated for underneath skin and beards. It is made from ingredients like aloe leaf juice powder to prevent skin irritation and dryness. You can also use it to condition and cleanse facial hair. It is also made of shea butter, cameline oil, and aloe which are moisturizing ingredients.
Honest Amish Original Beard and Body Soap
It’s a type of beard soap used to wash beard hair. It has the following moisturizing ingredients:
- Palm kernel
- Apricot-kennel oil
- Virgin pumpkin seed oil
- Virgin olive oil
Gently massage it on your beard skin and let it penetrate your hair follicle before rinsing it out. This helps in softening your beard hairs, gives you a nice-fuller beard hair, and most importantly improves your skin tone.
Maapilim Beard Wash
Maapilim is a unique type of beard with lavender and cedar-citrus scents. Its origin is Tel Aviv. It comes with carrier oils like Jojoba and argan that are integral in washing beards. This type of beard wash is effective for individuals with dry skin by giving them fortifying and at the same time moisturizing skin.
Can I Put Hair Conditioner in My Beard?
You might be wondering whether it is possible to put a hair conditioner in your head. The answer is, Yes, you can add a hair conditioner to your beard hair.
Beard conditioners and hair conditioners are formulated with the same purpose. They not only help in hair and skin nourishment but also leave your beard skin and hair moisturized. Beard conditioners are best the facial area that is sensitive. However, beard conditioners cause less irritation compared to hair conditioners.
Also, note that after washing coarse and shrub-like beard and you want to take it to the next level after scrubbing, then conditioning will be the best step to take.
Just as you and I are different from each other, so are our beards. My beard is for example pretty dry, so I need to put a lot of beard oil in my beard and the underlying skin, to prevent my beard to become a scratch machine.
So if you take good care of your beard, you can easily stick to washing it about twice a week to keep it in tip-top shape. However, do not forget to moisturize your skin and beard when your beard is towel dry.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.